In my house, the ever present Holiday Film has become almost more important than the lit tree in the living room. Movies are the modern carols and nothing fills me with holiday cheer more than the following movies. Editors note: It's A (an overplayed) Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street are not on my list. They are good...no, they are GREAT! But let's think outside of the box this year!
5. Christmas Vacation - Nothing makes me laugh harder than the comedic genius of Clark and Cousin Eddie! There are enough one liners in the movie to keep your spirits up until the egg nog is gone and the presents are unwrapped and put away! I also love how the kids change in every, single Vacation movie. A classic that always reminds me that no matter how much you try to have the perfect Christmas, your family will be there to keep it real!
4. A Christmas Story - Ok, so here's the deal. This is quite possibly one of my all time favorite movies EVER! But I have to say that it is losing some of its luster because TBS or TNT or whichever station plays it solid for 24 hours on Christmas Day. I love this movie because, although I didn't grow up in the 40's, it perfectly captured the anticipation of Christmas morning to a grade school child and making sure Santa was going to bring you that one special gift that you would just die without! I am especially partial to this one clip. My mother always overdressed me in any situation of weather. I was the kid with a scarf to cover her ears any time the wind picked up over 10 mph.
3. White Christmas - every time I express my love of the movie "White Christmas" my mother corrects me and says "Holiday Inn". "Holiday Inn" was indeed the Bing Crosby movie that launched the song, but I checked and I love "White Christmas". It is in Technicolor and it just makes me happy! It is all things old Hollywood on sound stages and witty one line quips that just make me want to pour a cocktail and act sassy! But I have always been partial to Danny Kaye since "The Court Jester". (My obsession with memorizing ..."the chalice from the palace..." is a story for another day.)
2. Love, Actually - I watch this every year and every year I cry like it is the first time I have seen it. First off, I love movies that have huge ensemble casts. Like 30,000 really famous people all getting over themselves and just making a great movie. Second, I love all things real and romantic and this movie is IT! I am a big fan of expressing your true love to anyone and everyone you care about during the holidays and this movie just makes me want to hug the postman in gratitude!!! (But that's it...just a little side hug for appreciation. I did not just confess some undying affection for our USPS mail carrier. Given that our new neighbor works for the post office I am now regretting my analogy altogether.) This movie makes me want to kiss my husband under the mistletoe!!! That sounds more appropriate!
1. Emmett Otters Jug Band Christmas - This is my all-time favorite Christmas movie ever made. This is actually my all-time favorite Christmas book ever written, as well. Growing up in the 70s and 80s, I am obviously a rabid Jim Henson fan. Nothing can spark a nostalgic tear faster than hearing Kermit sweetly sing "Rainbow Connection". Well, actually, Emmett Otter can. I am only 33 years old, but I have my fair share of life's disappointments to look back on and grieve from time to time and Emmett takes me there. Emmett takes me back to the age of six when all things were perfect. And although my life is still pretty close to perfection, Emmett makes me miss someone a little more than I did a moment ago and still somehow puts a smile on my face and a song in my heart. Actually...this song!
Monday, December 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Love your new banner. Love the way it looks and what it says. Of course, you can't go very far wrong with Ben's picture front and center! Did you create it in Photoshop?
Christmas movies are great.
My all-time fave is "A Christmas Carol." My roommate and I watched it multiple times a year. You just can't beat Scrooge for a great time.
When the girls were growing up, we bought a new Christmas video each year at the first of December. They eventually settled on the Yogi one as their favorite and watched it every year.
In their older years...and probably still...they watched a Christmas Story...over and over and over on Christmas afternoon. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out they know the lines by heart.
Next year I'm going to look for the movies you mentioned that I haven't seen.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
Post a Comment