It was a very surreal experience to say the least. Watching him run and jump in the front yard, it hit me for the very first time just how much he has grown. I'd been aware of it before, I mean...his 3 month old kissee kissee outfits don't fit, I am not stupid. But it really HIT me. Like a truck, no, more like a tidal wave. And the more I became engulfed in the nostalgia, the more emotional I became. Worry of SIDS and ear infections turned into worry of falling or choking. This in turn became worry of drowning at the pool or wandering outside in the middle of the night. Which will one day become worry of car accidents and other atrocities as a result of poor decision making. And then the glory of his birth became the thrill of our first word. Then the cheering of his first step has become the joy of watching him learn to pedal a tricyle with ease. Which will eventually become the elation of watching him recieve a diploma (or more, God willing) and someday starting his own family.
The funny part? Well, that's what brought on this wave of emotion. You see, Ben has outgrown his "preference" for nylon basketball shorts and a white T Shirt with pockets. Here is a picture of the outfit he picked out to wear for his photo.



2 comments:
Wow. Hooray! I can see why this jumpstarted the emotional response...
He is such a fine looking young man, and he has EXCELLENT taste in clothes!!!! The time does truly fly by.
I was once told that "they are grown and gone in the blink of an eye." In the midst of the carpooling and surviving the hectic pace of the years, I thought the comment was ridiculous. But it was true. The joyous part is that you have all of those fun memories...and I can tell you are creating those every day.
Post a Comment